Last week we kicked off a powerful new series called, "What would Jesus Pray?"
We dug into the scriptures and read the Prayers of Jesus. There is no better example for prayer then Jesus himself!
The desire to pray can reveal our desire for intimacy with God.
KEY THOUGHT: Intimacy with God reveals how much into God you are.
Prayer can change things and God still does miracles, but the #1 reason for prayer is not so much for God to change THINGS but for God to change US.
If God changes us, we will be able to raise above any circumstance.
More than ever we need intimacy with God. In today’s culture, life without God is going to feel hopeless. What’s happening in our world should lead us to greater intimacy with Christ and one another.
Jesus is God in human flesh. Yet, his human side of him (not his divine), depended on constant prayer to be able to accomplish His purpose here on earth. The disciples saw Jesus praying often. It's so important!
9 Tips on Prayer
1. Prayer is about attitude. "“When you pray, don’t be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I tell you the truth, that is all the reward they will ever get." Matthew 6:5
You are either about being real, or about being religious.
2. Prayer is about priority.
"But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you." Matthew 6:6
Private prayer life will yield to public blessed life.
3. Prayer is about authenticity.
"“When you pray, don’t babble on and on as the Gentiles do. They think their prayers are answered merely by repeating their words again and again. Don’t be like them, for your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask him!" Matthew 6:7-8
Get to the point and be you! God knows you and your needs before you even ask.
4. Prayer is about relationships.
Pray like this: Our Father in heaven..." Matthew 6:9
Father! Abba (Daddy) is a term of endearment. Like a child comes to their dad.
5. Prayer is about honoring who God is.
"…may your name be kept holy." Matthew 6:9
Establish honor before you ask for anything.
6. Prayer is about the will of God, not ours.
"May your Kingdom come soon. May your will be done on earth, as it is in heaven." Matthew 6:10
Prayer is about asking God what he wants before we ask him what we need.
7. Prayer is about reliance on God.
"Give us today the food we need…" Matthew 6:11
God doesn’t want you to stress about tomorrow, he wants you to rely on Him today.
8. Prayer is about receiving and giving grace. "and forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us.Matthew 6: 12
We need grace, but so does the person we don’t like. Pray for those that you can’t stand, and God will stand for you.
9. Prayer is about asking for our spiritual needs. "And don’t let us yield to temptation, but rescue us from the evil one." Matthew 6:13
God will take care of your need, but if you focus only on your need, you are not going to focus on the solution to your need.
God wants a relationship with you! And what good relationship is not based on communication? Talk to God, that is what prayer is. Join us tomorrow as we continue the series in prayer at 1 PM! Bring a friend!
The lead and social media team will be bringing you content on all things UP church! Subscribe to our page!